Imelda Assistance Fund
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo have established the Imelda Assistance Fund to meet the needs of those who have suffered damage during Tropical Storm Imelda and the flooding that followed.
The Imelda Assistance Fund is set up to take internet donations at this time. Community leaders will determine the disbursement of funds in the near future.
The effort between Mayor Turner and Judge Hidalgo is in cooperation with the Greater Houston Community Foundation (GHCF), an organization with deep knowledge of the community and expertise in disaster relief charitable work. GHCF administered the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund (HHRF) on behalf of the City of Houston and Harris County after Hurricane Harvey struck the region in August 2017.
Financial donations still continue to be the preferred way of assisting survivors of the catastrophic flooding that occurred in our city.
As part of the joint City/County Donations Management Plan, donations drop-off points have been opened for residents who wish to donate in-kind to disaster survivors. Please remember that new, unopened items are the best.
Items to Consider Donating
- Food: Unexpired, non-perishable and easy-to-make
- Water: Bottled water with the safety seal intact
- Children’s Supplies: Diapers, wipes, bottles, formula, diaper rash cream (in their original, unopened packaging) and cribs, new playpens, new car seats, and toys.
- Clothing: New and seasonally-appropriate. (e.g. shirts, pants, socks, shoes.) Only new undergarments will be accepted. There may also be a need for new steel-toe boots and durable pants.
- Equipment: Items that can be used to assist in the emergency response and immediate relief phase – such as power tools, ladders, chainsaws, fans, utility knives, hammers, saws, crowbars, etc.
- Supplies: Cleaning supplies (e.g. bleach, sponges, mops, N95 filtration masks, gloves, buckets,) chairs, and tables
- Materials: Building materials (e.g. sheetrock, plywood, drywall screws, baseboards and lumber)
- Toys: Only new or clean, gently-used toys will be accepted (e.g. books, board games, battery-operated games)
- Furniture: Only furniture in clean and usable condition
- Bedding: New bedding (sheets, pillows, comforters, etc.) in unopened packages are preferred
During Hurricane Harvey, flooding destroyed an estimated one million vehicles across Houston, leaving many Houstonians without reliable transportation. In many cases, the owners are still paying the note on a vehicle that was lost. This means that they will not be able to purchase a new car. Houston Bike Share has partnered with BikeHouston, Freewheels Houston and Rice Bikes to “Keep Houston Rolling” by collecting bike donations, distributing bikes to community members in need, and repairing bikes with flood damage.
Please consider donating hybrid bikes, mountain bikes, BMX bikes, unused helmets, bike lights or bike locks to our office at 407 Velasco Street from 8am to 5pm Monday - Friday. Monetary donations are also accepted at https://www.gofundme.com/keep-houston-rolling.
For more information on this program visit https://houston.bcycle.com/about/keep-houston-rolling